Vocational Internships with the NSIN
A vocational placement is a formal work experience arrangement that is part of an education or training course. These placements provide students with important skills to help them transition successfully from study to work, while giving us the opportunity to enrich student learning experiences and increase the number of work- ready graduates for the innovation ecosystem.
We believe we provide a dynamic and hands on environment for those interested in better understanding the tech/innovation/start-up sector. We regularly host vocational internships with students from both Australia and Internationally. Our past vocational interns have come from major universities across Sydney, including UNSW, MGSM, Macquarie University, ACU and Sydney University.
We have also hosted students from across the world including students from Boston University. We are able to host students in person (Covid health orders permitting) and as fully remote internships, for as few as 32 hours to internships that last a few months. Your university will advise you as to the required internship format and its duration depending on your particular course requirements,
Benefits of an NSIN internship
Past interns with the North Sydney Innovation Network have experienced:
- Participating in the preparation of submissions to government planning policies
- The establishment of global and Australian innovation and start-up policies and programs
- Innovation policy and social research
- Financial modelling and organisational strategy
- Writing and editing for our website and other online channels
- Social media content planning, design and publishing
- Organising, promoting and participating in innovation/technology events and conferences.
Past interns with the North Sydney Innovation Network have had the opportunity to:
- Meet awesome leaders and entrepreneurs in Australia’s innovation ecosystem
- Visit coworking offices, maker spaces and robotics workshops, gaining a behind-the-scenes insight into the workings of key stakeholders in Sydney’s innovation ecosystem
- Attend informal and formal ecosystem networking events and meetings
- Grow their professional profile through personal introductions, event attendance, and online and in person networking.
Do you have the skills to be an NSIN Intern?
We are looking for enthusiastic students who can demonstrate some/most of the following interests/skills/capabilities:
- A keen interest in the start-up/technology/innovation sector
- For marketing activities; good understanding of different marketing techniques and platforms with a creative approach to promoting the NSIN
- For research activities; excellent attention to detail and strong desktop research skills
- Experience in putting together marketing collateral with knowledge of social media platforms (twitter, Linkedin, Facebook, Instagram) and how to utilise them for promotional activities
- Experience with marketing computer software desirable (e.g., Capsule, MailChimp, Google Suite products)
- Experience in website content creation and website management is highly desirable
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- The ability to work autonomously (but supported) across multiple tasks
- Strong organisational and time management skills
- A positive “can do” attitude!
Where do you sign up?
We may already be an industry partner with your university so check with your subject convenor or vocational internship co-ordinator first. If we are not signed up, email us the details of your vocational internship at your university (including links to who we need to contact to sign up as an industry partner). Email us at email@example.com.